Monday, January 21, 2008

Aloha vs Unicorns and Rainbows

"Unicorns with rainbows!" That was the very enthusiastic reply by Larkin as to what she thought the motif of the canoe should be. We had a family vote and a pink and blue hibiscus theme out-voted the My-pretty-pony theme. Thank goodness.
We masked four panels to paint inside. One on either side of the bow and one on either side of the stern.
This is a hibiscus stencil we got on ebay for just a couple of dollars. We applied it to a piece of card stock and then cut it out. Using just enough paint to keep the brush damp was the trick so that it did not run.
We will start on the blue next weekend. Then a bow and stern grab loop (with a bit of fancy work, possibly), and we are ready to hit the water in the spring.
Posted by Picasa

Ready for Decoration!

Cold, rainy day here in Sacto. The kids and I got some work done on the decorative side of painting.
Posted by Picasa

Sunday, January 6, 2008


After sanding the boat down with an angle grinder (best done outside the garage, by the way. My whole garage including bikes and tool are covered with a layer of okume dust....) we are on the the paint. Looks like it is going to take two coats and then the decorative painting. I am using porch paint from the local big box.
Getting under the seats has been the biggest challenge, but a ruler taped to a foam brush did the trick.

Posted by Picasa


Once again, neighbor Rick came to the rescue with cold beer and we figured out a solution to the split/disconnected chine log.
I went down to Home Despot and picked up some 1x2 and we ran a strip down the inside (on the inboard side) of each chine/hull interface so the hull panel is now sandwiched between the chine log on the exterior and the new 1x2 on the interior. We used screws and adhesive and it worked beautifully. It even looks stout enough that I could think about adding a set of oar locks to really get the Peace Canoe moving in the water. And it adds a nice place to be able grab the boat and move it around.